Saturday, September 30, 2017

DIY Raw Hem Jeans

We all know that the ankle length jean is the perfect cut for transitioning from summer to fall! It also frames flats & boots without all that cuffing nonsense. This tutorial also might be helpful if you have jeans that are several inches too long for you! 

 Here are the jeans before the transformation! I bought them at H&M years ago. They've always been so long on me and I despise having to roll them up so much.
It's important to try on your jeans and see how much you want to shorten them.
I decided to cut them by a few inches, and I used a rotary cutter and ruler to make sure it was all even and straight. 
This next step is optional, but I chose to sew along the raw ends, about a half inch from the edge.
Then, start fraying the edges with whichever method you want! Use a fork, the edge of a pair of scissors, sandpaper, or whatever you like! Pull the weft threads (horizontal) with your fingers, a seam ripper, or even with tweezers.
Toss them into in the washer/dryer and let them fray even more! The stitching we made will prevent them from fraying too much.
Here's how they turned out!
There's also another no-sew option!---you can cut off your jeans and just leave them to fray, old-fashioned style!

I bought these pair of light wash Levi's for cheap at Nordstrom Rack, but the inseam was too long for my taste!
I decided to cut them higher in the front, creating a sharkbite-like effect! The result looks really cool, especially since this pair was already distressed.

There you have it! I love how these turned out, so dig into your jeans drawer and find some pairs that could use a trim!


Happy cropping,

--Courtney

No comments:

Post a Comment